Saturday, September 20, 2014

Perfect imperfection

If you have just stumbled into this blog you may not know much about me yet. First of all, I'm probably experiencing the busiest autumn of my life so far - I have a job, I study in a business program, and I'm starting up my own upcycled clothing business at the same time. My schedule is full. Overflowing, actually! But sometimes, when you suddenly have an idea out of the blue, you can't help but do it right away.

Another thing about me is that I'm a perfectionist about my designs. I know there are a lot of upcycling designers who like to leave the edges of the clothing unfinished, to give it that cool, shabby chic look. And that's completely fine! I do love their designs, but it's just not what I want to do. The perfectionist in me needs to create nicely finished items - clothes that say "this wasn't made in a rush". However, accessories are different. I like bags, scarves and jewellery that have the rough, unfinished look. The imperfection adds character to your outfit, and makes the perfectly finished clothing stand out even more.
So when I was trying to figure out what to do with the leftover scraps of fabric from my clothing projects, I had the idea of an oversized scarf. The whole point of making upcycled clothing is to create as little waste as possible and to turn something useless into something desirable.
It took me a good two hours to make the pattern, choose the colors, compose the small scraps so that none would go to waste, and sew everything together. So it wasn't as quick of a project as I thought it would be (I really didn't have the time for it...) but I love the result so much I'm going to forgive myself!
And I'm sorry if you happen to like this one, too - it already found a new owner... But my closet is full of scraps so I will be making more of these as soon as I have some time. The next one will have shades of purple, white and plum (plaid and solid), so if you'd like a shabby scarf in those colors, let me know and I'll reserve it for you.

5 comments:

  1. it's so adorable. nice one! i don't know how you do ALL of that. having a job, going to school and starting a business. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niken - Thank you! I have to admit lately there have been mornings when I've been so tired it's been hard to get out of bed... But I'm so focused on my goal that I don't mind! I'm planning on launching my own website in the beginning of next year, and I can't wait to finish my studies so I can really start working on my clothing collection. It's all very exciting but I know I will need a break at some point... Maybe a vacation when everything is finally ready :)

      Delete
  2. Anna!You're great!!!
    my two thumbs are up for you!!!! :)
    Ciaoooo!!! (=Byeeee!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beina - Thank you so much for the encouragement! I can't wait to get everything done the way I've planned :)

      Delete
  3. those are gorgeous!
    http://lifturbum.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!